Wednesday 6 March 2013

Great Expectations: Designing Estella


For Estella’s look, I am completely certain that the makeup look I will be creating for Estella will be that of a very natural and basic one, as she is naturally beautiful in description of the novel, it should be that the makeup applied shouldn’t be heavy and noticeable, but just make the actor look flawless and alluring.

To achieve this look I will be matching the foundation to match the skin tone of that of my model, shading to only enhance features and bring out natural colours in the face.



  •           Natural Foundation Base
  •           Contouring Nose and Cheek Bones
  •           Brown Eye Shadow (Shading only)
  •           Darken Eyebrows to Define
  •           Pink Tint to Lips (Or Red?)
  •           Brown Mascara


Above is a face chart I created so I know exactly the natural look I will be trying to create for Estella, having done this I can move onto designing her hairstyle which is more important to her character’s styling, this is because the hairstyle is what will help show the era she is from, also showing her high up status in society.



This is a very simple hairstyle from the Victorian Era, the hair has been separated with the back pulled tightly into a round bun, the front around the face having been curled to add more detail to the hair. I do like this simple look but feel it wouldn’t be right to use on the final look, Estella is from a wealthy background and therefore would try to decorate her hair more elaborately to show this, therefore, I will try to develop this style further with more plats and curls which were the desire of the age.



This design was developed from the sketch above, taking a section between the front and back of the hair to create a plat on each side of the head, reaching backwards to then wrap around the bun. To add more curls I also left a section of hair underneath the bun loose, to curl and then pin also though falling out from under it. I think these features help make the look more elegant and richer, working better for Estella’s character. For these reasons and a personal like for the design, I will be using this for Estella in my look.

No comments:

Post a Comment