Monday 11 February 2013

Great Expectations: 2012 Film





ESTELLA

This is the newest production of Great Expectations, in this version they have used Holliday Grainger to play the part of Estella. This is one of the only times I have ever seen Estella without (dark) brown hair, which when it’s the only feature to be commented upon in the novel I find myself have a little bit of a problem with the choice to move away from this colour. However, I decided to look past this fact and focus on how she was styled.

When styling the hair they followed the popular trends of the ages, much as I am trying to do myself, however they mostly chose styles which involved all of the hair being up in a tight bun or braids, in my own styling I would prefer to leave the front of the hair loose to curl, a style a found more common in my research then that of all the hair being up, though do love the styles they created for the movie.

For the face makeup, they once again like in the 2011 production, kept her looking very natural with very minimal cosmetics applied, which as I mentioned before I am hoping to achieve in my own final look.

MISS HAVISHAM

Here, to play the part of Miss Havisham they cast Helena Bonham Carter, who works very well in portraying her personality and appearance. Unlike in other interpretations of Miss Havisham, she has much heavier, more gothic makeup, I do find this works well with the character and does make her look more deranged and mentally unstable, but doesn’t really show her to be as ill as I picture her in my own mind, though I like what they have done, it is not how I initially pictured her myself.

How they have styled the hair perfectly interprets her crazy, unhinged personality and mind, with this it appears that over time her hair has fallen look and become un-styled, the curls growing naturally and due to lack of care are out of hand and untamed. Once again, I like how they have shown to style her hair, though it isn’t something I would think of styling myself for the character.

Overall, I really like how they have created Miss Havisham in this film, but find my own view of the character differing a fair bit, knowing this I will be interested to see what look I settle on in comparison to this newest interpretation of Miss Havisham.

No comments:

Post a Comment