Monday 4 February 2013

Great Expectations: History



(Restoration House 1889, Rochester [online] [viewed 04 February 2013] Available From: http://images.francisfrith.com/c10/450/23/22196.jpg)


Before starting my investigation into makeup, hair and fashion of the time period of ‘Great Expectations’, I first of all needed to research the year and setting of the story… this is rather important to get the final designs right after all.

I once again referred back to SparkNotes (http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/greatex/context.html) to see what other information was available on the site as it had given me a very good summary of the story in my previous post.
From this, I discovered Charles Dickens had set the story in early Victorian England, during a great changing in social society, but as the story continues in also reaches into the mid-nineteenth century, due to the aging of the characters. Although in the story Pip travels a lot, meaning there are a lot of locations from the setting, Miss Havisham and Estella are set in Satis house, in the case of Miss Havisham she doesn’t leave this house throughout the entirety of novel and dies in the flames of the house burning down.

Upon knowing the time period the story is set in, I can now research more thoroughly into the trends of the era, this will help me develop my own interpretation of the characters better, making them more accurate and believable, bringing the character to life instead of creating a poor imitation with little research.

No comments:

Post a Comment