Sunday 10 February 2013

Great Expectations: Applying Wigs and The Aging Process


Towards the start of our project, one of our seminars involved a talk by Kate Benton the founder of PAM (Precious About Make-up) who showed us many helpful tips in creating aging looks to allow us to expand upon them for our looks for Miss Havisham.

I really enjoyed Kate’s talk, she gave a very clear insight to the world and life of a professional makeup artist, showing us a small (but very impressive) selection of her on-site makeup kit, leaning towards more special effects and prosthesis in the world of makeup, something I am very interested in personally.

She taught us many things, going into more detail to teach us how to apply lace wigs and create a more aged look to a younger face. I took notes on how to do these two things step by step so I can perhaps refer back to them later in life when it becomes necessary.


APPLYING A WIG

1.       Glue front of hairline back using Gaf-Quat (condensed hair spray) and pin back with wide spaced clips.
2.       Pull hairnet over hair from around neck, tucking all hair in evening from the back.
3.       Pin front of hair net to the hair, sliding the pins under the wide clips already in place.
4.       Slide wig over hairnet into place along the hairline.
5.       Ask model to hold front of wig in place while fitting the rest over the model’s head.
6.       Adjust till sitting right.
7.       Carefully use pins to hold in pace, making sure they’re not visible through the hairs.
8.       If wig is too big, add pleats in the back to fit head shape.
9.       Use spirit gum to stick lace front to forehead.
10.   When applying spirit gum, start in centre and move down the sides to avoid creases, applying the spirit gum under the lace and pressing it down on top.
11.   Use more pins to secure wig if necessary.
Unfortunately I do not own a lace wig to test this method out personally, but can practice with the many wigs I currently own, though I will be buying a lace front wig (not full lace) at some point in which I’m sure this technique will prove just as useful.


OLD AGE STIPPLE

1.       Note: Old Age Stipple works better when warmer.
2.       Stretch skin and paint on very thin layer of the stipple. (If applying around the eye, brush down and away.)
3.       Dry carefully whilst still holding stretched, then powder the area before releasing so the stipple will not stick together.
4.       Layer up the stipple until satisfied; also apply to as many areas until satisfied.
5.       In any hair become stuck, use tweezers to unstick.
6.       Adding shading to the wrinkles will add more depth and make the person look more aged.

Fortunately, I happened to own some old age stipple, to one of the things I did soon after this seminar was to test out this technique on myself to see how well I could achieve it.



I think it is obvious I need to practice more with this technique, I would much rather work on another person than myself, as I found it very difficult to do so and think by using another model, I will be able to oversee the process more appropriately. I really like this technique and will definitely practice it more as I would really like to use it in creating my own look for Miss Havisham.

Overall, I feel very motivated by this talk and have learn a lot of new and exciting things from it, I think they will all come in very useful when creating the character Miss Havisham, possibly Estella is a wig were required for her. I hope in the future either Kate Benton will revisit and teach us new things, or maybe another makeup artist with as many impressive skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment